Public Sector Development and Mentoring Scheme
The Public Sector Development and Mentoring Scheme
(PSDMS) is led by the FDA in partnership with civil service employers and partner universities working to support diversity in senior roles in the civil service.
The scheme runs all year round and is refreshed with the university academic year, running to the end of the application processes for graduate entry schemes such as the Civil Service Fast Stream and others including the Tax Specialist Programme in HMRC.
This new project for 2023/24 is aimed at FS2024, and other schemes, which begin to recruit later in 2024. The aim is to:
- Establish mentoring of diverse students and civil servants to encourage them to see entry to/advancement within the CS as a career path
- Offer skills sessions focused on a generic approach to civil service application processes
- Provide bespoke sessions based on the application process for the Fast Stream and other schemes (including the Tax Specialist Programme)
Members of the FDA who are currently on schemes such as the Fast Stream act as mentors to students and serving civil servants from diverse backgrounds, to encourage them to apply for the Fast Stream and other opportunities.
What do we offer to mentors?
- Full training as mentors
- Courses to support them with the appraisal process, such as the Development Trajectory, and end of scheme assessments in Fast Stream
- Other career support, such as Fast Streamers ‘corporate objectives’
- The opportunity to support skills training and familiarisation events for mentees
The FDA learning providers who support the programme have expertise around Success Profiles and appraisal and assessment processes, and the FDA is very clear that demands on mentor time have to be reasonable!
What do we offer to mentees?
- A match with a mentor – offering ‘light touch’ remote mentoring at an agreed level
- Early access to skills sessions focused on a generic approach to civil service application processes
- Later access to bespoke sessions based on the application process for the Fast Stream and other schemes
How will you be supported?
The partnerships are supported by a small team including the Project Manager Neil Rider, and mentors and mentees are provided with:
At all times civil servants involved in the scheme will be working and covered by the requirements of the Civil Service Code.
What are the results?
Watch the short video below to hear new FDA member Olivia explaining how she benefitted from the Scheme and successfully applied to join the civil service Fast Stream:
This is an exciting scheme and very rewarding:
"If I am successful – you will have a loyal FDA member from day one!” (April 2023)
"I was offered a position on the summer internship! Thanks for all your help and resources along the way” (May 2023)
"I have been offered a place on the Project Delivery Fast Stream - thanks for all your help, it was really beneficial to get guidance from those currently on the Fast Stream” (June 2023)
"I attended the sessions and successfully gained a place on the Civil Service Fast Stream” (June 2023 - this student will now be acting as a mentor)
How do I get involved?
If you would like to volunteer, or to find out more, please e-mail Neil Rider at email@example.com